1.1 Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan
'Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan' (SSA) is a programme for universal elementary education with a clear time frame. It is to provide useful and relevant elementary education for all children in the age group 6-14 yeas by 2012. It has to meet the demand of quality education all over the country. It has a goal to bridge social, regional and gender gaps with active participation of community. Thus, it is an opportunity for promoting social justice through elementary education. SSA has to ensure the effective involvement of Panchayati Raj Institutions, School Management committers, VSS in the managements of elementary schools.
1.2 Aims of 'Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan
The Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan has been launched for providing necessary elementary education for all children in the 6-14 age group by 2012. Another goal of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan is to bridge social, regional and gender gaps with the active participation of community in school management. The useful and relevant elementary education has to be provided to all concern under this programme. Useful and relevant elementary education signifies a quest for an education system that is not alienating and that draws on community solidarity. Its aim is to allow children to learn about and master their natural environment in a manner that allows the fullest harnessing of their human potential both spiritually and materially. The quest must also be a process of value based learning that allows children an opportunity to work for each other's well being rather than to permit mere selfish pursuits. Under this programme the importance of Early Child Care Education has been realized and 6-14 age has been looked as a continuum. All efforts to support pre school learning in ICDS centres or special pre school centres in non ICDS areas will be made to supplement the efforts being made by the Department of Women and Child Development.
1.3 Objectives of 'Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan :-
* All children in School, Education Guarantee centre, Alternative School, Back to school camp by 2006.
* All Children complete five years of primary schooling by 2007.
* All children complete eight years of elementary schooling by 2010.
* Focus on elementary education of satisfactory quality with emphasis on education for life.
* Bridge all gender and social category gaps at primary stage by 2007 and at elementary education level by 2010.
* Universal retention by 2010.
1.4 SSA as a Framework and as a Programme -
- Framework :: Reflecting all investments in elementary education in a district, government and non-government.
- Programme :: Additional resource provision for UEE under a separate budget head.
1.5 Salient Features of SSA ::
* Institutional reforms in Centre and States - to improve efficiency of delivery system.
* Sustainable financing - long-term partnership between Centre and States.
* Community ownership – VEC/VSS/SMC, PRIs, Mata Samittee.
* Capacity building – NECERT/NIEPA/NCTE/SCERT/SIEMAT/DIET to have a major role.
* Community based monitoring with transparency
* Focus on girls & others special groups.
* Thrust on quality
* Central role of teachers – Focus on their development needs through BRCs/CRCs.
* Habitation as a unit of planning.
* District Elementary Education Plans.
1.6 Aims & Objectives of the district for 2009-10
* The main Thrust in SSA is implementation of all the activities considering the female literacy rate, feasibility, accessibility and longer duration of working to achieve the goal of universal elementary education.
* All the out of school children will be taken in mainstream of education through various activities.
* Un-aided Madarasas will be covered under SSA as per the norms.
* All out of school or drooped out Children will be covered under different innovation scheme.
* Vidayalaya Shiksha Sammittee Members, Mata Sammitee Members and PRI Members will be orientated towards the programme.
* Additional Classrooms and other civil works will be implemented on priority basis.